I came across 683 Way to Fail to Get a Job Offer, written by Mark Manson, and thought it was a refreshing change from the usual drab magazine job search advice that’s become ubiquitous in the past couple of years. The article details the selection and hiring process after the author posted a job ad for his company.
The best applications did the following:
- They attached or linked to copies of their previous work for me to look at even though I didn’t ask for it.
- They custom designed their application materials to match the design of my website and even used the same font on their resume.
- They built entire WordPress sites to act as their application, with separate pages for their cover letter, resume, favorite books and so on.
- They included lists of errors they had already found within my articles and suggested corrections.
- They came up with design and illustration ideas to accompany my current articles without me asking.
If you’re creative, proactive, and a problem solver, then prove it. Send something I would want but didn’t ask for. Suggest improvements I never thought of. Write something that surprises me.
Read the full article here.